Does the Bible Contradict Itself at the Tomb?
The Bible Is Consistent
First, we believe the Bible is inspired of God, and there are no mistakes in the Bible. Therefore, we do not believe there are any inconsistencies in the gospel accounts. If you read carefully, you will find that they all fit together into a coherent mold.
When asked about clarification about who arrived at the tomb, we believe that Mary Magdalene came with other women to the tomb, but the other women held back.
- Mary went by herself to the tomb.
- When she saw it was empty and the soldiers were gone, she ran another way to tell Peter and John.
- While she was gone, the women came looking for Mary, and saw the tomb was empty and the solders were gone.
- As the women left, they met Jesus.
- In the interim, Peter and John came to the tomb and examined its contents.
- After they left, Mary came back; this is when she met the Lord.
There are no inconsistencies about the angels or the young men. In the Bible angels are often called young men.
They were at the tomb, and they appeared to the different observers. Actually, the observers testified what they saw, but none of them testified everything that happened.